Thursday 28 June 2018

Weds August 17 2016 Evening surf kayak



Well it looks like the good weather is still with us :)
Long may it last!
While Caleb has been back at school the last two days, he has still been making the most of the weather by spending his afternoons at the beach, along with Heather and about half his school mates and their parents. Unfortunately I can't blag anymore days of this week or next so the only opportunity is after work.
I've been desperate to get out and try the surf kayak that Brian has given me to use as he couldn't get a comfortable fit with it. So for the summer its holidaying at mine :)
Caleb had already spent the afternoon out with my body board and playing in a friends inflatable so I raced home and tried to quickly load the kayak into the back of the Meriva. I may have got away with it sticking out the back and the tailgate tied down with a bungee, but only because the beach is only about a mile or two away.
Thankfully Heather arrived back just before I left and we put it on the roof racks on her car. Much safer.
Caleb got changed before we headed back out as he said he wasn't going swimming as it was a bit cooler, so much for that as he was in the water, fleece and all :)
The wind was just picking up and so the waves were on the increase with a decent enough lee between at first to let me try and get used to how it turned and steered.
It was, brilliant, what a great laugh. I knew it was a quality ride but it was really noticeable how well it handled, don't get me wrong, I had a couple of good wipeouts after turning across the front of a wave/wash, but being a sit on, you never get the feeling of being in danger, even when well out off the shore.
Its a bit like a lazy surf, except you just work in a different way, still hard, but its a really fast ride so you can feel the wave accelerate you once you get picked up.
Great fun and while we didn't get home until nearly 9, we all had a nice evening, and for me it just made all the work day fade away.
Thanks Brian, I will try my best to give it a regular workout :) 
It will join our well loved and used Old Town Canadian canoe and my general use kayak. 
Not bikes but hey, it was a nice night in the all too fleeting Scottish summer.
Here's some pics Heather took early on. 

Jamie


DSC_1470 DSC_1478 DSC_1481 DSC_1496

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...