Wednesday 6 June 2018

July 2014 - Orkney Trip - Long Haul Trucker

July 2014 - Orkney Trip - Long Haul Trucker 


I took a few days off this last week as I needed to lose some holidays and with Heather working there were no plans other than enjoy the sun, get some home stuff sorted and get some rides in here and there.
Got out for a few hours here and there and wends was foggy all day but Thursday was really bright and sunny so got out on the Trucker in the afternoon/evening for a ride inland towards the west then back to Thurso then home along the coast. Got in about 75 - 80 klms and it was glorious weather. Drank loads and ate a couple of yum yums I picked up on the way through town.
Friday I was supposed to meet Brian and ride the 1X1's on a long loop up and around Ben Wyvis but seen as how the weather was and also forecast to be so good, I rang Brian before I even got home and seen if he would rather come across to Orkney in the morning instead.
Friday morning had me racing out the door on the Long Haul Trucker about 6.45 to make the Scrabster to Stromness ferry and meet Brian at the terminal. Brian had a much earlier start as he had a 2 hour drive to make the ferry, whereas I just had an hours pleasant ride.
The plan was to leave Stromness once docked just after 10 and do a loop in the north then head south stopping at various spots, a stop in Kirkwall then south again to get the last ferry at St Margrets Hope for 5 for the 6pm sailing.
After a great crossing, very calm, sunny and hot we headed out of Stromness towards Skail and Skarra Brae as our first stop. An early lunch and then a good look around the historic Scotland site was worth the trip alone, really amazing place. Then it was into the wind towards Ring of Brodgar to the south. Again another really magical place helped also I imagine by the glorious weather and while it was very warm and sunny, we could see to the south east that the sea Harr was rolling over the big hills. After another stop at a busy dig happening down the road we then turned toward Finday and hit the headwind of all headwinds. My reaction made me laugh as all I could think of was the Scotsman from Dads Army ' Doomed, we're all doomed'. On the climb before Finday we hit the cooling sea harr and slowly made our way to Kirkwall, though there was a few Snickers stops along the way.
In Kirkwall we found a nice coffee shop and had a nice cuppa only to look at the watch and think 'holy s**t! is that the time?' as it was now almost 4 pm and we had to get a fair way south for 5 to make the ferry. We figured that they would let us on right up to sailing as I have dealt with the ferry guys on the other side a bit, but it was still a good ride to make it. It was beautiful countryside with a few biggish climbs but generally big rollers for a large amount of it. The climb out of Kirkwall is a cracker for tired legs though :)
We made the ferry but I must say I was flagging for sure, I had the Trucker with a bit of unneeded weight having both panniers and bar bag onboard but I was using it as a recce for when I take Caleb across in a few weeks in his trailer.
At least the return ferry was going to Gills bay just a few miles from home, so a short ride once disembarked and Heather was at home waiting with fresh fish and chips.
A great day out and my little computer said I had done 98.7 klm. We got home at 7.30pm so a long day but a great ride and also visited some very cool places so well worth it. When I go back across with Caleb we will be there a few days so will see more.
For me its not far as I can see the islands out my front window and the ferry is £17 from Scrabster and £15 from Gills bay so not too expensive. I thought its probably for me what Arran is for Kaiser :)
Anyway I've had a good couple of days riding and so thought I'd share.

Jamie




 photo DSCF3311.jpg  photo DSCF3320.jpg  photo 2.png  photo DSCF3326.jpg  photo DSCF3329.jpg  photo DSCF3332.jpg  photo 4.png  photo DSCF3336.jpg  photo DSCF3344.jpg  photo DSCF3344.jpg  photo DSCF3346-1.jpg  photo DSCF3348.jpg  photo DSCF3351.jpg  photo 5.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...