Thursday 14 June 2018

April 9th 2016 - Non Biking Solo Canoe course - Castle Semple - Glasgow.



Please excuse the non riding posting. Thought I would post anyway :P

On Friday I had taken the day off work to drive down to the inlaws at Loch Lomond as on Saturday I had a solo canoe course to attend at Castle Semple.
The original plan was for me to attend the solo course from 9 to 11.30am and then for Heather and I to do a tandem course from 12 to 3pm and then attend a talk that was being given in the evening. best laid plans and all that, things went amiss on the Wednesday when our dog Spot received his call up to get a 9 month old nerve problem with his tail fixed, by amputation on Thursday. That meant Heather wouldn't be able to attend and she also told me I should still definitely go.
This wasn't just the course as while it was good it was more about being instructed and guided by the tutor, who was canoeing legend Becky Mason and her husband Reid. They had come over from Canada for a bit of a tour in Europe and were heading to Ireland after this week paddling with friends from near Glasgow. It was their friend and main man from the Song Of the Paddle forum, John who had organised the weekend.
I ended up doing the solo course after starting the morning getting a few things organised with John as he had kindly loaned me a canoe to save me hauling mine all the way south.
It was a great course, very down to earth, super friendly and very helpful. Lots of tips and tricks for solo paddling. I am alright normally but I am generally tandem as most of the time its easier with the kayak if I am on my own, but much prefer the canoe. While a very useful and useable knowledge it was also the chance to be taught by such a renown canoeist. For those that maybe don't know who Becky is, it is maybe best put that showed Ray Mears how to best paddle solo, has canoed all over the earth and has given classes and instruction to many, many people, her knowledge of and skill of paddling is probably only surpassed by her fathers, the legendary Bill Mason.
So a great mornings paddling and making new friends, which was good as I never really knew anyone from the forum beforehand, except for Barry but unfortunately due to his back he couldn't make it. A shame mate, but hopefully you'll be right for Knoydart.
After lunch I had a quick turnaround and headed back up the road around 1.30. Stopped at Brian's for a cuppa on the way and watch him unpack a new Fatbike for a friend from the USA who only needed the frame sent across and will pick up the rest when he is over for next years Strathpuffer. It was a nice Cube Nutrail :)
Anyway home and up Sunday for the continuing rain lashing down, only it didn't matter because I sat on my backside and watched Paris Roubaix :)
A great weekend, paddling, bikes, friends....life doesn't get any better than that :)

Jamie


DSCN2339 DSCN2344 DSCN2340

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...