Thursday 28 June 2018

Sunday December 18th 2016 - Surly Big Dummy

Saturday had a few things going on but managed to get out between showers late morning for a quick blast on the Big Dummy to make sure some of the new bits and pieces worked OK in case I had to send them back.
A few weeks ago when we picked the beast up I ordered and quickly received his Magic Carpet seat, Flightdeck with fittings and also the U Tubes, the side rails at foot level. The U Tubes I received were for the newer generation of Xtracycles and fitted on but instead of a spring loaded clip that locks them in place they came with a bolt, which wouldn't work on mine. Sent them back and was told they would order the right ones in, didn't think I would see them until well after Christmas but was surprised when they rang on Thursday lunch to say they were in and just wanted to check my address before sending. I did think that they may ask for more money as the other set in the country I seen were post Brexit imports and the price has almost doubled due to the week pound. Thankfully they didn't ask for any extra and didn't ask for any postage either. They sent them Thursday afternoon and, remembering that they are a fair size, mounted onto a big cardboard backing, they arrived Friday afternoon by Royal Mail sent from London Green Cycles, really good guys to deal with I must say. Anyway early Saturday we fitted them, put his temporary bars back on and tried them all out. Perfect! The one thing I wasn't expecting was that because the rails are further outhe can put his feet on them easier than the small foot bar close to the frame, he said they were much better and he didn't need to use the bar ends that I mounted higher up for foot pegs.
To be fair we really just used it for an excuse to go and put some miles in, he loves it which makes me very happy, he wants out on it all the time. It even carries the three of us.
Then just after lunch Heather and I were off to see Rogue One in 3D. Brilliant! More in line with the original 3 than the later ones. Loved it.

Jamie


DSCN3192 DSCN3187

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...