Wednesday 13 June 2018

Sun Jan 17 - 2016 - Long Haul Trucker round the coast.



For me I have been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks really so decided today to get out and get the legs turning.
Yesterday was the first nice day for a long while and after all the wild weather there was a lot of small things needed repairing around the house ready for the next onslaught. Today was very similar, clear skies, no snow today but very cold. It never got above minus 1 and when out riding, once the sun thought about starting to dip it hit a few degrees lower.
It was just a few hours out after lunch and I thought the roads would be OK on the whole. They were but there was still a lot of places where there were big icy sections. As most of the roads are single track off the one main road, I could see these had a frosty covering and I took it easy. This was in no way hard to do as when I left I had forgotten my sealskin cap under my helmet and any decent speed made my ears and head freeze very quickly. :lol:
It was a pretty quiet uneventful ride, nice and wintery with barely a car seen. I stopped a couple of time and took some pics and also indulged in some shortbread I took for sustenance.
I headed back from one of the lochs when the sun started to lose a bit of light as I knew I wouldn't have much left. There was a section near an old mill that I swung around the bend and knew it might be icy as it doesn't get much sun or light and realised by the frozen water on the edge of the road that there was likely to be a bit of ice but when I rounded the end of the mill there was a whole section of road looking like it was covered in about an inch or so of slush ice and water. It may have been yesterday but it was completely frozen now :lol: I was grateful it didn't go up the short, steep rise immediately after it as I was spinning on the flat.
Calm sea, only a slight breeze and very crisp conditions made for a nice ride. I was wrapped up well, I had my nice new Christmas present Keela trousers on along with a long sleeve merino and a short sleeve merino so besides the head and the inevitable toes it was very comfortable. My toes only felt frozen once I stopped and went in the house :?
Anyway nothing much, but just thought I'd share.
Hope everyone else had a good day and maybe got some wheels turning.

Jamie

DSCN2200 DSCN2202 DSCN2203 DSCN2205 DSCN2209 DSCN2212 (2) DSCN2213 (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...