Friday 8 June 2018

Sun September 27th 2015 - Merckx Ride across the North


As usual my plans went a bit out the window this weekend but its been a good one despite not going to plan.
I originally had taken tomorrow and Tuesday off work to go away for a few days on the Trucker camping. Was going to head across to Durness and then down the west coast. A few days riding, camping and chillin before the weather closes in. Anyway after a few unexpected car issues (replacing two nearly new tyres due to cuts) and the little man not being too well it was decided to postpone it and maybe incorporate it into the family holiday next month.
So after watching the world championships yesterday and getting some painting done this morning I procrastinated about heading out for a couple of hours. I got my act together at lunch and headed out on the Merckx just after 1. The weather was good with cloudy skies but only a light breeze from the south west.
I decided to head along the north coast and see how far I got in a couple of hours and then turn round and head for home. Try and be back for about 5.30 or so. I haven't been across the north coast route for a while and figured I may get to about Melvich or so if I was lucky. There's a few decent climbs along the top as the road climbs from sea level up and over the high ground to avoid the cliffs. Started with a slight headwind but figured I would catch the tailwind on the run for home when I needed it. I hadn't been on the Merckx for over a month as the Trucker and 1X1 have been seeing all the use so after topping the tyres up and bending a bit lower for the bars we were off. Jesus! these 23c tyres seem a bit harsh after being spoiled by the 2.1's on the Trucker :)
One thing for sure was that I was on a far lighter machine and I was travelling at a far faster pace. The climbs were dispatched with the usual effort and a bit of pain towards the end but a look at the speed showed that even on the climbs the pace was higher, as to be expected I suppose as it is a case of horses for courses.
Went out past Kinbrace turnoff to Melvich which is just a bit further. The turnaround was a killer as its a major climb out back past the turnoff. Did a couple of detours one with a short bit of dirt and then some narrow tarmac, overgrown and rough but am sure it was part of the old road. It was a a good run back down from the high ground into Reay, where I stopped for a bag of crisps, mars bar and a water bottle top up. Debated on the way back whether to go slightly inland which was shorter but in the end stuck to the coast and back past Dounray then into Thurso. Once in Thurso I knew I wasn't far from home and the last 12 kilometres went by pretty easy. Back home for 5.30 and cleaned, me and my stuff, bike away and sat down to watch the world championships. Sat there watching with Caleb, Heather and my mother in law while we ate dinner of Heathers lovely fajitas.
Life's not too bad :)
I did about 86klms in about 4 and a bit hours so not too bad for solo and stopping for food and pics etc. It was a nice day, nice ride. Topped off by a cracking worlds.
Hope everyone else had a good one, especially Clubby :)

Jamie


 photo DSCN1784.jpg  photo DSCN1791.jpg  photo DSCN1800.jpg  photo DSCN1801.jpg  photo DSCN1807.jpg  photo DSCN1812.jpg  photo DSCN1816.jpg  photo DSCN1820.jpg  photo DSCN1830.jpg  photo DSCN1831.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...