Saturday 14 July 2018

Sun May 07, 2017 - Mercian off roader Strathpeffer, C'noc Farrel

What I did .... yesterday :)

I ventured south to see in person how Brian was clearing out his shed, also to take him up on his invitation to go for a road ride. Bring your Mercian he said as I have done the wheels for Andre Bertin. I arrived with the Mercian fitted with it's new rack courtesy of Rustie Bodie onlt to find Brian fettling his ride for the day. It wasn't the Andre Bertin but a titanium lightweight singlespeed On One Lynskey fitted with cyclocross tyres. Change of plan he said, this will be 'fun' I thought.
The weather was glorious with sun shining and a nice comfortable temp.
We set off heading loosely to Strathpeffer along the dirt roads zig zagging up the valley. I was having trouble clipping in and out of me pedals and got caught out when I went through a swampy patch near the start and got the front wheel stopped by a rock in a lift the back end and almost over the bars way. Being unable to unclip meant all I could do was put my knee and elbow out and make sure I fell onto the fence side rather than the mud side. I just wasn't firing on all cyclinders at the start but soon warmed up and got into it.
We ventured along the old railway line trail for a bit until a farmer had blocked the way and while we could have lifted over some of the crude blockade he had put new lambs and ewes in the next section so best to leave them be. With this we back tracked a bit and then climbed the dirt tracks to the high ridge, not sure of the climb but it was walking only near the top, sheep track that went from almost sea level to a huge height in one straight run. We followed the tracks, sheep and human along the ridge for quite a while, eventually coming out beyond and above Strathpeffer. It was down into the village for a coffee and scone and as it was now after 4pm it was time to make a quicker route for Brians. A slightly easier ride back but still off road seen us back at Brians for about 6. It was a good ride though I was a bit under tyred in some spots but it didn't slow me down. The trail was very rough in some spots but you just had to ride to conditions, I was more worried about my trunk bag bouncing off than about handling etc as the Mercian really did ride this stuff with ease, and while I was running 32mm tyres so had a bit of cushioning I certainly wouldn't have minded Brians knobby cyclo cross tyres. This seems to be the sort of riding the Mercian is doing so maybe I will get a set of racing Ralphs as well.
It was a great ride and much enjoyed as usual. We did less than a mile on tarmac over the whole day.
If any one wants to join the next run just give one of us a shout.

Jamie


DSCN3778 DSCN3777 3 DSCN3781 4 DSCN3786 DSCN3799 DSCN3801 DSCN3806 DSCN3808 DSCN3810 DSCN3813 7 DSCN3791 DSCN3812 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 24th March 2024 - Jack Taylor Super Clubman shakedown ride - Caithness

  Yesterday was the first decent weather day when I hadn't been super busy so with a few hours to spare I decided to head out for a bit ...