Friday 27 July 2018

April 23, 2018 - Jack taylor update and reply regards paint suggestions.

Thanks for the posts and nice words.
I realise it's just cobbled together and the chain as well as the brake cables are too short. I didn't want to cut new ones as these are the ones straight off the Mercian and I have new bars with non aero Mafac levers. I knew the chain would be OK as long as I didn't go anywhere near big to big :)
Peter I did slide the wheel forward a bit and that helped with tonight taking it on a slightly longer roll round after work. Even though it started raining I still really like the feel of the longer top tube and rear stays, relaxed angles etc, it just felt a bit more relaxed than the Mercian, which when compared to the Merckx feels relaxed normally.
I hear what people are saying about the paint too but my concern is that there is so much rust coming through. The paint before it went into the chicken shed years was obviously as the previous owner said, 'lovely and shiny' as when it is cleaned and waxed, what is left of the paint really gleams. Unfortunately the dust that has sat on it for years is quite corrosive and has gone through it deeply in some places.
Hence my to and fro with the idea of repainting, on one hand I don't want to lose Jacks original paintwork but on the other I don't want to lose the frame.
I had an email today from a long term Jack Taylor rider who has about four frames and hung around the shop when younger as well as ride with Norman regularly and he had his main frame painted a while back and he said Jack wouldn't be bothered, if it needs painting it needs painting.
I used to be undecided, now I'm not so sure ;)

Jamie

Here is a couple of pics I took just before when I got in to show the corrosion up close.


DSC_1857 DSC_1858 DSC_1859 DSC_1860 DSC_1864

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...