Wednesday 25 July 2018

My Rides - Colnago Master Olympic and 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband - 2 Frames sold December 2014

Colnago Master Olympic and 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband - 2 Frames sold December 2014

Here is a couple of frames I sold way back in December 2014. I had had both for a year or two and hadn't the funds to build either at the time. A regretful sale for sure.
While I have a few frames and usually a project or two on the go it is very few and far between that I would be buying and selling frames these days, not for a good few years now. I am lucky enough to have a few frames and bikes but these are ridden and built to be ridden.

The Colnago I had picked up very very cheap and it was in my size and a beautiful frame. It was very well made and while I looked the look of it, it just didn't do it for me and I couldn't get enthused about building it, hence it sat for a long time. The December I really needed to raise some cash for the family and so this was sold on, along with the Hobbs, which is a different story.
I usually buy a frame that I am enthused to build and ride, first and foremost. I sometimes see a beaten up old frame and just have a picture in my head about how I could build it back up to be on the road again and also picture riding it. With the Colnago it somehow was just about owning it as I couldn't get into building it, maybe it was just a bit too bling for me and due to these uneasy feelings about owning it for the sake of owning it I was glad to sell it on.

frame%20side DSC_0035 DSC_0038

My 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband was the most beautiful older frame I have ever had the privilege to own. A truly classy frame. Unbuilt since it was painted by Mario Vaz in London. I had had it a while and was slowly gathering some parts for it when as mentioned above I needed to raise some cash and while this, unlike the Colnago, I really did regret selling, though I knew it would sell quickly. Needs must as they say and it did find a new home in the States, arriving in Ohio on Christmas Eve.  This is one of the few frames I ever miss.
Here are a couple of pics of Caleb with it.


DSCN0097 DSCN0101 DSCN0105 1 3 4 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...