Thursday 12 July 2018

My Rides - Mercian 1992 King Of Mercia - October 2016

My Rides - Mercian 1992 King Of Mercia -

Post originally from October 2016

1992 Mercian King of Mercia
Fast road geometry and setup rather than touring setup.
Optional mudgaurd eyes front and rear with pannier mounts on rear also.
Pump nipple behind headtube.
Finished in British racing Green with white head tube, seat tube band and lug lining.

I did have plans for today (and/or tomorrow) to head down to fellow retrobiker Epicycles (Brian) place for a ride out to Strathcarron around lunch after I had built the Mercian up. I wanted to get it finished as I really needed to get a couple of nice rides in on it before the winter so I could decide whether it stays and gets renovated or it goes. I also had to make sure the rear mech hanger was realigned properly as I had to give Brian back his alignment tool he loaned me. (Thanks mate)
It was time to do it as its been sitting in my loft dismantled for the last 2 years almost. 
I picked this lovely frame up a few years back as it was sitting unused with a very bent rear derailleur hanger and looking a bit in need of some tlc. I was sure with the proper tool I could bring it back and then tidy the rest of it up. It's such a nicely built and specced frame with lots of little extras. I have always looked at Mercians longingly but usually are priced outside my price bracket these days, though with the work needed on this one and with being unused for a long while I got it at a very fair price. :) 
The plan was to build it up with what I had in the shed and spares box etc, and then if it goes as well as I think it should with a few different things on it then I will get it painted hopefully before spring and build it back up with a more relaxed type build. My spares box is mostly Dura Ace 7400, 7403 and bits and pieces of 7700 and 600 tri colour stuff so that was a good starting point, some 3ttt bars and stem were chosen and a new Brooks saddle that I had picked up very cheap last year. I did have to buy some Exage brakes to get it going as the Dura Ace, both 7400 and 7700 just didn't have the reach. New Deda bar tape to match the saddle.
I do have other machines but Brian had his Andre Bertin ready to roll so it was decided to have a lugged steel road ride, I could have taken the Merckx but it seemed good timing to get it sorted. At least if Brian was on his recently acquired road bike, that I know he has been working on then at least I wouldn't feel guilty or lonely stopping to adjust and fettle.
Anyway the morning was spent putting bits and pieces on the frame while my young son, who wasn't well, had his breakfast and played in the living room. I needed to go to town late morning to get a cassette as the Dura Ace rear mech has a max of 26 teeth and, of course, the lowest I had in 8 speed was 28. I said to Heather I was just heading to town and would drive rather than ride as I wanted to be quick as I might still try and get sorted for this ride. Anyway I was at the bike shop for a while longer than I anticipated and probably would have been quicker with the hour and a half round trip riding to the shop, as long as I didn't get chatting again.
I should mention here that I am very lucky as I returned home to find Heather cooking lunch of Pancakes with Bacon smothered in Maple Syrup. Yes they are capitals as this is my favourite breakfast of all time :)
Once home I then spent the afternoon outside fettling the bike on the stand doing the usual sorting of gears and adjusting the mech hanger slightly, not surprising considering how far out it was the first time.
Anyway it was a nice sunny and warm afternoon spent building up the bike and doing family stuff. Once the bike was sorted I headed out for a short test ride. I got about 20 metres when I realised that I hadn't tightened the brake levers. :oops: Brakes worked but the levers were twisting on the bars. Anyway that sorted and back out. I did a couple of miles and adjusted the seat post and moved the seat forward slightly, let a bit of pressure out the tyres but otherwise all was pretty good. So I kept going on a bigger loop.
Hopefully I can get away tomorrow to Brians for the ride.
The Mercian handled really nicely, very light and I had put on my old wheels from my Merckx, Ultegra and Open Pro and put on some Vittoria Randonnuer 32 tyres. This was a different feeling as it was still very sharp handling and with sure footedness but with a bit of 'give' from the larger size tyres. Very nice as the roads around here are just falling apart. I run 23mm on my Merckx and even those I have started dropping pressure, especially on the front.
I was well pleased and so went a bit further than intended and all was well. So for now it is definitely staying. I will give it a few more varied rides to make sure before it gets pulled down and put away until it gets painted. When it does get painted, the build will be different again as it will be a more light touring/audax setup befitting its King of Mercia title. Most likely a stronglight chainset, nitto randonnuer bars etc, the stuff on it today was from the spares boxes and while great stuff its a bit more racey than I need. Save that for the Merckx.
Anyway I hope you all had a nice day whatever you were up to.
Will change and update this thread as it progress's.
Here's some pics.

Jamie 


DSC_1560 DSC_1561 DSC_1562 DSC_1563 DSC_1565 DSC_1573 DSC_1576

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...