Thursday 12 July 2018

My Rides: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 2015 Update

From April 11th 2015

Today before a ride in to the hellish westerly wind I fitted some new wheels to the Merckx.
For years I keep saying I will build up some blue Open Pro rims but just never get round to it. Mainly due to having a great set of Open pro's built onto Ultegra hubs that I had Edison cycles in derby build when I first got the Merckx. Eventually after the blue rims getting higher in price I eventually could never find any when I tried the last six months.
So I purchased these from mark (maverick) on here. They are Mavics own Cosmos set, which is basically Open pro rims laced onto Mavics own hubs. I used to bypass these as I wasn't sure about blue hubs but these are really nice in the flesh. They are virtually brand new as Mark bought them for a build that didn't happen and before that Gil was the original owner and he barely used them, if at all.
So well happy, especially as they were very, very reasonable, price wise.
Being the same rim as what was previously on there and both having good hubs there is not any real difference in ride quality, which was already superb. I can also give a high recomendation to Edison cycles as these wheels have done many, many miles over the last 13 years, and a lot of that on roughish Scottish backroads and they are not out at all. To the mm.
Just thought I would share.

Jamie


 photo DSC_0334.jpg  photo DSC_0363.jpg  photo DSCN0983.jpg

I have bought a second set of wheels for mine and decided to raid the parts box and change things around for a while, especially as mine has been in its current spec for near on 13 years.
I dug out a mixture of 7400 and 7403 with a choice of STI or downtube so pretty much right to go.
Might just try a few different setups out in the next few weeks. Just need a bottom bracket.
Most is in good to very good condition.
I also have some brakes and mechs from 7700 DA as well so could always mix that with my current Ultegra gear. I would fit my 7700 mechs, brakes, chainset and keep the Ultegra STI's or even mount my 7700 downtube shifters but doubt I would go to the expense of the DA STI's when I have a perfectly good set of Ultegras. This is really about changing purely for changes sake as I am happy with the way everything works.
random thoughts I thought I'd share :)

Jamie



 photo DSC_0214.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...