Friday 27 July 2018

New addition to the stable - 1989 Mercian King Of Mercia - Touring geometry

This lovely frame was purchased a couple of months back and is an addition to my green King Of Mercia which is in road racing geometry.
It's a 1989 King Of Mercia in Touring geometry made with Reynolds 653 tubing, which from memory is Reynolds 753 main frame tubes and 531 stays.
This frame is in the configuration I have always wanted with pure touring setup in 700c wheels. In addition to having more relaxed geometry than the racing version this comes with extra bottle fitting and a canti brake setup. It also has fitting for mud guards and a rear rack which are standard fitting on the touring model but were an added extra on my road version. This being a tourer it has different/slacker rake on the fork and slightly longer chainstays as well.
The fact that this is in a stunning colour is also an added bonus though it does have a few scrapes and chips with the enamel hazing in a few places as well along with a few rust spots coming through the thin paint. Overall though I really like the colour and condition is fine as is for now. A couple of the scrapes have been touched up in a very flat sort of bright blue and so stand out greatly, something I hope I can fix a bit better.
Whilst not being in the market for buying any new frames or projects at all this came about as I had been watching it like on a well known auction site and it sat really low all week so I put in a, what I thought, very cheeky bid, only to watch it be successful. It was in my opinion a bargain and thankfully my wife agreed, even she was surprised at how low it went for. We were even more surprised at it's condition when it arrived, it was obvious it was even better in person than we thought. I had to put in a bid as they rarely come along in my small size. I'm not sure why it went so low, sometimes on these sites you can never work it out, but it could have been to do with it ending mid afternoon mid week. No complaints from me at all.
It has been sitting until I can move some parts along to slowly build this up so it will take a while as there are other projects rolling along, though this may move to the front of the queue as I am really wanting to build and ride this. A few days touring ……..
I thought I better out it as I haven't told anyone that I got it. Not that anyone really looks here, but now the blogs up to date I can put it here before other forums etc.

More to come

Jamie


DSC_1913 DSC_1905 DSC_1908 DSC_1908 DSC_1910 DSC_1916 DSC_1918 DSC_1920 DSC_1922 DSC_1924

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...