Friday 13 July 2018

Sat Feb 04, 2017 - Jack Taylor Super Clubman barn find cleanup

Hi Mike
I have really liked these machines for many years and I suppose a lot of it is to do with the history of the brothers and their reputation. It is also why I am going to try to preserve the paintwork as best I can. It is going to be a challenge that's for sure. I had a very brief look this afternoon and first tried to use a light scrub pad to minimise the rust spots, which was partially successful and then T cut a few places. While the rust is there the paint that was T Cut comes up very nice and shiny with minimal effort, which just goes to show how nice it was when put away. My friend said it was really nice and shiny when he stopped using it with no rust at all :(
So the plan will be at this stage, which may change as it progresses, rub the rust back lightly in places, touch up any bigger spots very sympathetically, t cut the whole lot, polish and then use a really good wax to protect it. Then build with some nice usable kit of the right period and ride it as much as I can :)
The other 'issue' I had was the bottom bracket. Without really looking I grabbed my Shimano tools and went to undo it only to find it is a FAG with the resin/plastic cups so need to either buy a tool or borrow one as I will only need it once :)
Thankfully the stubborn screw from the rear rack that was stuck in the thread came out at the first real attempt, it has had a decent spray of oil last weekend so that must of helped. That has been the only stubborn bolt on the whole thing, so does show that it was looked after and appreciated before it was buried away.

Here is a pic I took after I had cleaned the left hand fork crown, with the right as it was after the first clean.


DSC_1650

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...