Saturday 14 July 2018

Sun Jun 11, 2017 - Mercian ride out Sunday

Sunday:
Spent the morning doing family things around the house and garden while knowing that if I wanted a ride I had better do it before the forecast rain was due in the afternoon. The forecast was for a good bit of rain coming in slowly just after lunch. Originally I was going to head to Strathcarron to recce a camping spot for the randonneur/camping ride in late July that I am trying to organise. The weather forecast for down there was hellish looking, 5.9mm rain at 1pm and raining through until mid Monday. So a relaxing morning was had and it was a nice morning too but it did start to cloud over so after sitting out in the garden having lunch I thought I better get the Mercian together and get going.
There was no real plan just a rough route of heading out towards Groats and maybe doing a loop back towards Wick way, just a few hours out and about sticking to quiet, mostly single lane roads.
I grabbed the Mercian out the loft, put the wheels in etc and decided to adjust the handlebars slightly, just rotate them slightly. When I cobbled it together I have mounted the brake levers slightly lower than I normally have them and as I am going to fit the new Nitto bars and stem I wasn't going to dismantle the tape etc just to move them. I rotated them slightly last ride as it felt like I was hanging over the front wheel, like a low front crit bike, which is the polar opposite of this bikes build target.
Headed out and thought something isn't right, I feel like I am pushing myself back in the seat, must be the bars. Then I remembered last time I came back from riding it with Brian I proofrided the Brooks saddle before I put it away, but then didn't rub it down the next day, completely forgot :lol:
Oh well nothing for it now, my backside will polish the proofride away.
I was out towards Groats and decided to take a back road across to Lyth, this road has a couple of small rises and a little kick up at the end, single track and very straight, one uphill long sweeping bend and then its at least 5klm straight as an arrow, had a slight headwind but nothing to slow me too much. This left me with a choice at the next junction, I turned to the right as by this stage the weather to my left was bright and gathering clouds and to the right, towards home was very dark and stormy looking. I had already just ridden through a heavy downpour that while cold was a welcome cooling from the warm day and while I had been stopping and taking a couple of quick photos I was motoring on. I was trying to make sure I got home before the storms really came in.
The road was dry and quite quiet so had a good run back. At one stage I could see it raining just in front of me and thankfully that was when I turned right once again about 4klm from home.
A couple of hours out and about keeping the legs spinning. Route was only about 33klm, but still nice for a quick run. A very triangular shaped route that never seems to be boring, not that I do the Lyth road very often. While it is very open and exposed so there is no hiding from the weather, it is due to the constantly changing weather that it always looks slightly different whether it's the weather or the light, and this route points me east then south west and then north, so you see every perspective as it's so open.
Anyway, again just thought I would share a nice ride. Hope everyone else has had a good weekend, whether that involves a ride or not.

Jamie

Heading out

DSCN3926 DSCN3933 DSCN3937 DSCN3940 DSCN3942 DSCN3948 DSCN3960 DSCN3962 DSCN3966 DSCN3973 DSCN3974

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...