Friday 13 July 2018

Mon Jan 02, 2017 - Long Haul Trucker ride - local -

Out today for a while on the Trucker, just to get the legs spinning more than anything. A bit of a zigzag route through the local area. I had to meet someone at their place at 1 so thought a bit of a ride first and then a longer ride home maybe. The weather while cold and raining this morning was looking better and had decent patches of blue sky. geared up for it as it was only about 1 or 2 degree but the wind was a very cold and very strong blast from directly north. Baltic, literally :)
It was a good ride out tacking into the wind when I could and while not raining it was still on very wet roads, thankfully the Trucker has guards :)
I was only about 1/2 a kilometre from where I was meant to get to when the appearance of road closed signs took me by surprise. I thought I might sneak through as it was a very quiet singletrack backroad and nobody would be doing roadworks today, but unfortunately it was at a local house that was destroyed by fire last Thursday evening and the road was completely shut with a fence across it. I took about a mile shortcut along a farm track past one of the private wind turbines just down the road. It was muddy from the side I came from but from the turbine to the main road was good gravel, I also had a huge tailwind so could get going on the gravel. sadly I then had a really long ride straight back into the wind, full head on, just had to dig in and keep rolling.
Just before I left to head home it started alternating sleeting and raining, so after waiting for a lull, I thought I would head towards home and see if it cleared at all allowing a few alternative routes to be taken. After a huge downpour within about 500metres I looked back to see Hoy and Orkney disappearing into the encroaching gloom, to cheer myself I took a picture in the opposite direction to show it looked better towards home. I really only noticed how cold the wind was when I stopped for the pic and a friend came along in his van and after a minute or two of talking I felt my face was frozen and I couldn't talk properly. And so it was off home as quick as I could as the rain started heavily and it didn't look like it was going to get better anytime soon.
It was a good ride to start the year off. While it was a bit cold on the toes and face when stopped, it was otherwise nice to be out as the weather up here has been gale force winds with rain and sleet.
Hope all the macretros and families had a great New Year and wishing everyone a safe and happy 2017.

Jamie

This looks fairly calm but that thing was fair turning and was making some noise along with it. DSCN3207 DSCN3210

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...