Thursday 26 July 2018

July 2017 - Cleaning parts with Oxalic acid - A small test

I have been debating what or how to clean up the Jack Taylor and while wanting to get rid of the rust I want to preserve as much of the original finish as possible. I could get it resprayed but then I would lose the original paint and box lining done by Jack himself. While this may not be possible and not wanting to structurally compromise the frame as it is ultimately for my riding pleasure, I at least want to try and save the finish before succumbing to repainting.
To this end I thought I would try some oxalic acid as whilst it attacks and dissolves the iron particles it is generally fine with paint. I thought I would try some of the powder mixed in a lite solution in the bath and test a few parts out to see how it would go.
I used an old school Mongoose crank off my Motomag, some Christophe toe cages, some toe straps with really rusted buckles along with the rear rack from the Jack Taylor. It was a small amount I mixed in a small tub in the bath so the rack would just get one edge done for now.
As usual gloves, glasses etc were worn as this stuff is pretty nasty. It removes iron in solution and if it gets onto or into you it can cause havoc with your red blood cells so caution is best shown.

Results were good as can be seen, certainly on the bright work but the rack showd up the one problem that will be a problem with the frame in that the rust goes under the paint. While the paint it fine it still gets under it to work on any rust so leaves small marks or bubbling.  Best not to use on the frame proper.

Jamie


DSC_1854 DSC_1857 DSC_1858 DSC_1860 After DSC_1885 DSC_1886 DSC_1894 DSC_1896 DSC_1897

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...