Friday 13 July 2018

Sun Jan 29, 2017 - My Rides: Jack Taylor Super Clubman

Well today I was supposed to be riding with Brian but unfortunately that just didn't work at as we had hoped and most likely for the best as the weather up here was not the forecast sunshine with no wind, in fact it was raining and slightly windy on and off all day. More on than off.
While I must admit there was no riding done today, though there was a lot of bike fettling going on. I visited my friend yesterday and between us and his chickens I managed to leave the hen house with my new project. It was in the side shed to the henhouse, not where they were actually roosting but as you can see, not far from it. Luckily it was partially covered and lucky for me it was an eggstremely good deal for me ;)
It's a Jack Taylor Super Clubman, which is very similar to the frame I was buying a couple of years ago from Alabama, though not quite in the same condition. Things didn't work out then but hey, patience pays off. It even has the original Jack Taylor rack.
It had been ridden and loved and then life just got in the way so it was covered and put in the shed many years ago. It has a lot of surface rust spots and all the little nuts and bolts are rusted, fixings on things like the mechs are all shot and while it's all just there on the surface, there is a lot. After a good wash down to see what was underneath I was well pleased. It certainly came up better than I thought it would and the wheels are really nice. I was pleasantly surprised when the seatpost just slide straight out and the stem just needed one gentle tap. There is only one rear mudguard bolt that I am soaking as its a flat screwdriver head and is stuck.
Definitely a work in progress and definitely a keeper though it will be a slow build over time as I will put nicer stuff back on it I think. I will evaluate the paint and whether to keep as is and wax or repaint later.
Anyway I thought I would share, I know most aren't into the road stuff but this is something I have been looking for, for a while now and it is retro. Also to find one similar to what I was going to bring in from Alabama 3 years ago, just about a mile down the road from me up here in the middle of nowhere, and in my size. Well I certainly started my Chinese New Year in style :)

Jamie


DSC_1655

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...