Wednesday 1 August 2018

Links in the Chain Federation Bike Ride 2001 Commerative Badge and Letter

I was digging through some papers in a box from back home and come across an envelope I hadn't seen for some time.
In it was a commemorative badge and a letter from Alby Shultz, my local member of Parliament, from the 'Links in the chain' bike ride to celebrate the Centenary of  Federation back in 2001.

From the Pedal Power advertisement:
Links in the Chain Federation Bike Ride, an event coordinated by Pedal Power ACT in which "Bicycle riders will converge on Canberra from all states of Australia, as they did in 1951, in a symbolic gesture of national unity on May 8, 2001."

Rides were organised in a relay fashion right around Australia with the last section, the one I took part in, riding into Canberra, the nations capitol and touring places of historic interest before ending at Parliament House. I just remember it being a slow old ride as there was so many people taking part. Pretty impressive as it was a week day and I had to take a day off work and drive the couple of hours to the outskirts of Canberra. Well worth it though.
I remember it was a few months later I received this in the mail with a letter from Alby Shultz with the stamped badge which I think is modelled on an old design you could wrap round your bikes head tube, though I could be wrong there. These were stamped and made by the Australian mint and made for all who registered for the ride.
I like how he has crossed out my typed surname and written given name in pen to give it a bit more personal touch, never noticed at the time.
Probably means more to me now that I am a bit older and haven't been home in a good while.

Just one of those things that I had forgotten about and was nice to find so thought I would share.

Jamie





DSC_0137_LI DSC_0127 DSC_0132

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...