Saturday 25 August 2018

August 25 2018 - Special Delivery! Xtracycle Sidecar arrives for the Big Dummy

Postman delivered a package yesterday that starts a new chapter for the Dummy and for hauling the dog about, as well as cargo.
I had put a wanted ad up on a couple of cargo bike social media platforms looking for a sidecar frame, base, fittings  etc, virtually any parts I could get to either buy or get ideas from. While these are still available to buy new in the US they are not carried by any of the usual Xtracycle dealers/importers that I could find anywhere in Europe. Not saying they aren't out there but I certainly couldn't find any that would bring in a sidecar frame. After a few replies about building my own I had a message from William Gradwohl in the US saying that he had a frame and fittings, new still wrapped that had been sitting in his garage for a long time if I would like it. Now William is regarded as a friend as while we know of each other from various cargo bike groups, he had also generously given me my Xtracycle Freeradical bags for the Big Dummy when I switched from P racks back to normal V racks and got rid of my panniers from it. The shipping was expensive but well below what I actually thought it might be and the price for the sidecar was extremely generous so that allowed it all to happen very easy and seamlessly. The excitement on Calebs face made it worth it already :)  
 
Caleb and I couldn't wait and had to get it together and mount it. Am away today but hopefully by Monday will have a wooden base in and then build it up from there.
A huge thankyou again to William Gradwohl in the US who was so helpful in organising this and for going to all the trouble to ship it to Scotland, very much appreciated. Been such a help with the development of the Dummy. I will endeavour to pay it forward where I can. 
Such a great cargo bike community out there.
This should be fun.
Jamie

DSC_0212 DSC_0214 DSC_0222 DSC_0220 DSC_0219

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...