Monday 20 August 2018

Sunday August 19 2018 - Big dummy to the beach ride

Weather was far better this afternoon than yesterdays wind and cloud. 
So it was back out for a leisurely cruise round on the Big Dummy, met the family at friends in Dunnet for a cuppa and then I headed for the beach before looping back home for about half seven.
Not too many miles but certainly a nice leisurely ride just enjoying a relaxing day. 
Really been getting into the Big Dummy again lately and it is getting something a bit 'xtra' in the next couple of weeks to make it more fun, so all's good on the cargo front. 
Have found myself wondering now and again what to do with it now that Caleb is getting bigger/older and spending less and less time on the back and more and more time riding his own bike. It is used for human cargo more than groceries etc so trying to figure out it's purpose or redefining what that now might be. Not a big deal I suppose but some of the thoughts going through my head lately as I ride along. I love riding it and I suppose for a while it will haul the cargo/camping gear for both of us even when Caleb is riding his bike. It does justify it's place in the stable by the amount of fun it brings to our riding together and on my own. It tends to be relaxing to ride as most other rides have this feeling of having to get somewhere and so you tend to go quickly where as this is long and heavy and likes a more relaxed approach, a bit like your not getting anywhere too quickly so you may as well sit back and relax. Don't get me wrong, it can hustle when needed but it responds best to a relaxed unhurried approach, If you start out like your on your racer from the start your legs will soon fade and you will pay the price. The smoothness of the slick Alfine 8 hub gear also makes it feel a bit slower than it actually is, I don't know whether it's the smoothness or the simplicity but it is definitely a nice hub to ride. 
I also still have to build my new front wheel with the PD8 Dynamo hub before the autumn. I have a pair of Rigida Sputnik rims to go with it so just need to order some spokes and we will be all set. 
I am back to work tomorrow after a couple of weeks off :( I know, it's sad but I will struggle on. I have had such a great holiday from being in Germany with the family to just enjoying my riding for the sake of riding.
Hope the weather and riding was good for everyone else. 
Happy Trails

Jamie
DSCN5148 DSCN5152 DSCN5156

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...