Saturday 29 March 2014

Surly Pugsley - singlespeed. The go to machine .........

After wanting a Pugsley for a few years but being a bit unsure about the sizing due to the large tyres and me being vertically 'challenged' I picked a up a frame, fork, rear wheel on xt hub and a matching Large Marge rim secondhand in 2012.
I built this up singlespeed for several reasons, firstly, offroad I have been pretty much riding singlespeed exclusively since early 2009 and while I did leave the option open of this having gears, the initial build was singlespeed due to budget and getting it built and riding quicker.
These later ones while still a size up on my Surly 1X1 though the smallest size Pugsley, have a slightly dropped top tube which makes the standover height achievable.


Finished this off with some bits from the parts bin and some new stuff. BB7 brakes, Blaze 2x chainset, XT hubbed wheel on the front and a new Surly singlespeed hub on the rear. Fitted a set of H bars the same as my 1X1. Gearing is usually 36/18.





Anything offroad and this is the go to machine. It gets ridden everywhere from the beach, coast, singletrack, mountains etc from multi day to just a few hours through to riding the Strathpuffer 24 hour. I love it, it fits, it works and regardless of weather or effort it always makes me smile. Its a very fun machine.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...