Tuesday 18 March 2014

1979 Chatsworth built nickel plated Mongoose Motomag

Well I dont have any pics of my lovely Mongoose but I can describe it quite well from memory. It had red Tuff wheels, red brake on the rear only, red grips, pedals etc.
The real issue I had with this frame, maybe not back then, but in hindsight, was how I previously mentioned, I acquired it.
I was on my way home from high school, first year, which was about 6 kilometres away and part of this ride went along a short cut next to a local creek. On one section I noticed a set of fork ends sticking up out of the water. Now lots of stuff used to get dumped in this section of the creek, even the odd bike now and then but these forks were a: clearly from a bmx and b: very shiny, not the usual bit of barely recognisable rusty metal you might spot. On closer inspection and a bit of manhandling I realised it was attached to the whole frame. I quickly got the whole lot out and was soon riding home shouldering this new found treasure.
I was smart enough, even at that young age to know that Mongoose's dont come from creeks, and while my neighbourhood was a very safe type area there were a few areas near to us that were not safe to leave your bike unlocked somewhere. So at that young age of 12 or 13 I was old enough to know that was more likely than not, stolen, but there was always that chance so of I went home with it. Man I really wanted it. In my working class area, especially at our age, none of us had bikes like this, bikes yes, bikes that we loved yes, but not like this. This new BMX thing, shiny ( we weren't old enough or smart enough to know what nickel plating was), only a few kids even had Tuff wheels and these things were the most amazing things we had ever seen. If you buckled it, you put it in the freezer overnight to straighten them! I remember one freind whose brother had Tuffs and he put one in the freezer overnight after a crash. The following day after school there was standing room only in his backyard after he took it out the freezer and a small crowd waited in silence while it was fitted and tested to see if it was straight. It was! unbelievable.
Anyway, I was soon home and excitedly telling my dad what I had found, 'just an old bike frame', trying to not sound excited or give the game away regarding its lofty position in dream bike wants.
I was asked by my dad what I thought a nice looking frame like that was doing in the creek, where I thought it had come from and what I think we should do now.
He was right of course and he knew that I knew what was right and also what the right thing to do now was.  I cannot remember whether it was my dad or myself that rang the police, I have a vague recollection that it was myself and then dad spoke to them. It had the frame number still on it and only the Mongoose sticker on the downtube. It was well used but still nice. Dont get me wrong, while I knew it was the right thing to do and while my dad asked me what we should do, I was well aware he was only looking for one answer. He already knew that answer and was just checking I knew what that was.  Its only now that I'm typing this that I suddenly thought, 'hell, I hope my dad never thought I stole that bike' I'm sure he didn't and I really hope he didn't. While I was no angel when I was a kid, I certainly didnt steal. He's no longer with us so I cant ask him, but its funny as Its never in my life crossed my mind that my dad may have thought that. I'm sure if he did I would have copped a hiding regardless of what I answered ;)
Once again, rambling, my apologies.
The police said that if and when someone reported it I would have to hand it over to the owner but if no one claimed it within a certain time, not sure if it was 1 or 3 months then it was mine. The frame was put in the shed I think and the countdown began.
Eventually the frame was mine as no one had reported it stolen. Back then when BMX was really getting into its stride these Mongooses were pretty rare in my area. I had only ever seen 1 or 2 and they were not in my area. So if you did steal it and ride it in its original guise it would stand out like a beacon. So it probably had some good stuff on it and was stripped for parts and the frame chucked, thats my hindsight opinion.
I had swapped some parts off my old bike, saved and begged mum and dad to buy other bits I needed, but I pretty much swapped a load of my stuff from memory to get what I needed.
I remember that on the local made, usually homemade BMX tracks it was a revelation to ride. I rode it everywhere, weekends, weekdays, to school, before school, after school, took the long way everywhere. It was cool.
Sadly after about 6 months, maybe longer, maybe less as memory from that age makes time seem far slower to pass than what it does now, someone thought they should have it more than me and it was stolen, never to be seen again. Easy come and easy it went. I am sure I must have been gutted having it stolen but I honestly dont remember it all that much, I am sure I wouldn't have been suprised as it would have been desirable even with the mishmash of parts I had on it. Back then we never locked anything and being young we would just leave our bikes leaning against a wall when we went inside a shop etc or lying on the ground in someones front yard.
Back to the old Malvern Star and a few mods and it was as good as it had ever been. I dont remember ever feeling disapointed  about being back on the Malvern Star, I suppose as a kid you just accept these things and make the most of what you have.
When I remember those two bikes from my early days while I do remember the Mongoose as a really classy ride that briefly was a part of my life, probably influenced me more than I even know now, it is the Malvern Star that I always think of as the one constant and think of as my bike.

These is not my picture of my Mongoose, though this shows a very similar setup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 24th March 2024 - Jack Taylor Super Clubman shakedown ride - Caithness

  Yesterday was the first decent weather day when I hadn't been super busy so with a few hours to spare I decided to head out for a bit ...