Saturday 15 March 2014

Bit of Background

*Updated June 2018

Hello from myself, Jamie Dyer
I am 50 years old and am Australian. I have been living in the far north of Scotland for the last 10 years and am married to a lovely Scottish girl Heather and have a young son, Caleb who is seven almost eight. Not sure when I will get home but for the time being here, Scotland is home.
Will put a few posts up showing the various bikes and differing types of riding that I've been doing the last few years.
This will hopefully give a bit of background of whats been happening and the type of riding  I'm interested in.
I spent my very young through to my teenage days virtually living on my bike, a Malvern star dragster, metal flake purple, banana seat etc that I remember getting one Christmas. This was early seventies remember but I still have a real soft spot for metalic purple bikes. I remember my mum had it on lay-by and would pay money on it leading up to Christmas. Despite many skinned ankles and cuts,scrapes and bruises from crashing that beast in its many, many forms and modifications, I really have fond memories of the many happy miles and years together. I loved it.
It had one gear which was swapped out often, and went from big apehanger dragster bars through to BMX bars towards the end.
In my first year of high school I 'acquired' (more on this later) a 1979 Mongoose moto Mag frame and fork and other bits and pieces. Built up with red Tuff wheels. A brilliant machine that elevated me from lowly dufus younger neighbourhood kid at the bmx track to semi coolness. At least it seemed that way, due to unrealistic self image issues and forty five year old memory that last sentence would probably be laughed at by any actual person that was there or maybe even those in the vicinity. Alas I knew then as I do now that it was the ultra cool nickel plated Mongoose that was the cool one of the relationship ;)
I dont want to paint an unrealistic picture here as myself and the majority of my group of freinds were not the cool kids, we could, especially on our bikes, hold our own. We could ride all day, we could skateboard, we could give cheek and we could run. The later two were usually together and in that order :)              We certainly were not the fighters, maybe thats why we could ride fast and run.

I dont have any pictures these days of those old bikes which is a great shame.

I then went off the usual way when I was a teen with the bicyle and the skateboard to a large extent foresaken until my late twenties. from 15 until 30 odd the motorcycles took precedence, often with the bicycle used for training.
Then slowly the motorcycles thinned out and the work with them became the same old, with the bicycle getting ridden more and more for its own pleasure rather than training or keeping fit.
The last 25 odd years have been back into the bikes full on and riding whenever and whereever I can.
Its been the one constant throughout my life. I wholeheartedly agree with what a wise man once said:
' I've spent half my life on bicycles, the other half I wasted'

More to come, hopefully regularly.
It will most likely be random like this, about anything really but with pictures where I can.
Happy trails

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...