Tuesday 18 March 2014

1979 Chatsworth built nickel plated Mongoose Motomag - Part 2

OK so if anyone is looking at this, I must apologise for the long rambling, trip down memory lane. While I cannot guarantee some posts wont be long and rambling I can make sure I at least add more pics to break it up a bit.
I must add that at this point there is no one looking at this but me and it is good to get this stuff in one place rather than snippetts of it slowly getting lost in my head. If anyone does see this and has an opinion, then by all means let me know.
As this blog is meant to be about cycle type events and machines in my life I just thought I would start at the beginning. I originally meant to make the last two blog posts cover one short post as way of introduction and lead into a project I have had slowly happening over a few years now.
I had been looking around for a while and in late 2008 ( I think) I came across a 79 Mongoose Motomag frame and  fork for sale in California. It was a decent price and frame numbers showed it was indeed a genuine 79 nickel plated Motomag built in Chatsworth. It was in very good condition with no dents or dings, the plating was in very good condition, if a bit dull and the lack of decals were not a problem as these are easily sourced from originals.
As I now lived in Scotland I had to ask the seller if she would be willing to ship it outside the US and generally do all dealing by email. The lady was very helpful and a really good deal was reached on the frame and even the shipping. I was very lucky with the import duty as it seemed to have flown under the radar or maybe just went past one of the good guys at customs ;)
thats one thing for UK customs, they sure know how to stick it to you from every direction for even secondhand goods. Basically whatever its worth you should allow an extra 25% for customs and excise and Royal mail to slug you for anything not from the European Union.
Here's some pics of the frame from the original ad.




A bit of polishing and buffing and she should come up nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...