Tuesday 18 March 2014

1979 Chatsworth built nickel plated Mongoose Motomag - Part 3

So I soon had the Mongoose sitting in front of me and already knew how I wanted to build it.
This was always going to be a very slow build, for many reasons, the main ones being that it wasn't getting built for a specific ride, race or event and due to always having something in the pipeline bike wise that this would get built as when I had a few pounds to put in it and also when the bits I wanted came along at the right price. Some of the old BMX stuff is now super expensive and like most this would be a budget type build. What I like and can afford so certainly not a bling show bike, a good honest usable machine.
I picked up a few bits over the intervening years but still not everything to finish it, though I'm in no rush at all as while I have built a few bikes while this ones been here, with a young family space, finances and time are at a premium the last couple of years and bike time is generally used for riding or building bikes that I am using.
I have so far picked up a set of cheap bars, Motomag crankset, chainring and bottom bracket, red Tuff wheels, original Mongoose double clamp gold stem, original Mongoose red grips, Tange MXII headset and a set of original style decals from Vintage Mongoose.
I must admit I haven't had it out the loft in a long time but this might stir me on to get a bit more done and get it finished of. Since we first found out my wife was pregnant this was then turned into a project for my son so as long as its finished by the time he fits it. We both joke that he'll most likely come home one day and have swapped it for a G I Joe or something.

Here's some pics from at least 3 years ago before I had the bars etc. It polished up quite well.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...