Tuesday 21 April 2020

Sunday 19th April 2020 - Jack Taylor Super Clubman - lockdown excercise ride

 Today was a glorious day up here and while the wind was pretty ferocious it wasn't as cold as it has been and without it the day would have been perfect.
Had a few things to do this morning, one of which was start prepping the shed door and frame for repainting,  it will soon be white frame with a terracotta door.
Heather also decided to do a bit of painting but she was far more ambitious than me as Caleb and I came in for lunch only to find the wallpaper in the kitchen half stripped. :shock:  
With this in mind, after lunch we beat a hasty retreat back outside.
We had to take the cover off the wooden HW Old Town canoe and make a plan as we have to sand the gunwales and varnish again, they weren't as bad as I remembered so that was a bonus, a light sand and we should be right to go. We also decided to repaint the white on the hull, though instead of the off white it currently is we decided to redo it in the bright white it left the factory with, and leave the burgundy stripe and redo the monogram. We eventually want to have a pattern on it that we have on a catalogue poster from back in the 30's but for this, it's centenary year, we thought best to put it back to how it left the factory. The little man will soon understand sanding, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off...it's a big canoe  :lol:
Meanwhile I had the can of Canuba wax sitting in the sunshine softening to wax the Jack Taylor so I could try and protect the 'patina' or 'rust' as I say. So after this I joined Caleb on his ride up to the end of our singletrack road where I then headed off away from the coast to head southwest for a bit of a ride to try and find the cause of a creaking sound in the BB area. After many miles and a bit of time I concluded it was the BB!  Elementary chaps ;)
The back roads were nearly all single track farm roads so pretty quiet, not that the main roads were busy at all.
The Jack Taylor was its usual pleasure to ride, with maybe the creaking bottom bracket letting it down for once, though not enough to spoil a lovely ride. This bike I must admit is one of my favourite rides, some frames ride well and do everything faultlessly but this has it's own feel and for the way I ride now it just feels perfect, it is quick handling, very stable, but has to be the most comfortable, relaxed feeling frame.
It seems that maybe that's what happened to my mojo with some of my recent mock ups, maybe I lose interest because I have such a great ride sitting ready to go, either that or it's my ADD  ;)
Hope you have all had a great weekend and everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Jamie IMG_2777 IMG_2781 IMG_2785 IMG_2794 IMG_2800 IMG_2802 IMG_2805

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...