Tuesday 21 April 2020

Saturday 18th April 2020 - Flying Scot Ventoux - build started

Well I have the weekend off and the weather this afternoon was nice and sunny, if a bit windy and cool still, and so after getting a load of stuff done around the house I thought I would get my Flying Scot Ventoux out of the loft and have a play around to see what would be needed to put it back together and finish it off.
This is such a lovely frame and one of the 'racier' models, which isn't usually my leaning these days as I get older but these just handle and ride so lovely.
I realised I still have to varnish over the Flying Scot decals I put on it last year. I am glad I went with the Flying Scot downtube decals as opposed to getting some Ventoux ones made. Just a personal thing but I am pleased with how this looks as I wasn't sure before hand. The paint itself is wearing a few chips etc but nothing that would warrant a respray. I also could still see the remnants of the white lug lining in places.
This was a good time to put it together to see what suited it and what didn't and to try and work out what components I had in the spares box and what I may need to get.
I have been a bit unmotivated with the Mercian for some reason,  mainly as I had decided a while back I should sell the blue one as I have a  new project incoming and this will go a fair way to paying for it.
Anyway I found the box that was buried when we moved labelled :Scot parts. Well that box was pretty bare as bits had been robbed, borrowed but not returned for some time. So with that in mind, the bits were added to from one of my Dura Ace boxes so all was not wasted.
I ended up scrounging the seat and post from the Jack Taylor and fitted my spare B36 Nitto randonneur bars with the Mafac levers and Racers, I had put aside for it. I use the 7400 DA crank, downtube gear levers and rear derailleur. Unfortunately I couldn't find a band on front mech, I have a couple of DA ones but they are braze on fitting. I was positive I have a 600 tricolour one somewhere but I couldn't find it for the life of me. Tomorrows another day :)
Once together, which didn't take long but was a nice chance to sit outside with the family, none of us were sure on the brown Brooks, I think it needs a black seat but not as chunky as a B17. Original idea was brown seat and brown bar tape but not now, not sure, I do have white and also black bar tape??
Used the wheels and tyres from the JT as well as while I have different wheels, they are still 7 speed with the same large volume Jack Brown tyres.
So a couple of bits still needed which I will have a look out for. I have a couple of Shimano 600 pieces that may go well on this so will be back to this one quite soon.
Anyway just thought I would share a bit of pointless afternoon mucking about, but in sunshine ;)
Hope everyone is doing OK with all that's going on with regards the Covid 19 situation, and sincerely hope you and your loved ones are safe and well, wherever you may be on this planet.

Jamie IMG_2734 IMG_2738 IMG_2743 IMG_2747 IMG_2752 IMG_2753

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...