Monday 13 April 2020

5th April 2020 - Lockdown ride on the Pugsley round local coastline

After not getting much commuting in this week due to the snow on Thursday/Friday I needed to get the legs turning.
I didn't want to go anywhere near people so I decided to head for the local coastline just across the field from us. I knew it would be deserted as it is fairly out of the way and while there is a tiny access road, the gate is locked. We just go across the field and onto the dirt track just above the cove.
I got the Pugsley sorted and was going to change the gearing as it was still running the Puffer 36/22 gear combo but then thought that might be better for the trials type stuff on the mainly rocky coastline.
Anyway had a good couple of hours out riding round the shore at a leisurely pace and the only person I even came close to was a farmer about 150 metres away in his tractor.
Pugsley was a pleasure as usual, though I think I need a new set of front hub bearings soon. It rolled across the sand, climbed the slab rock and picked it's way round the coast from rockpool to rockpool. I was very tempted to fit the XT rear mech as I have a cassette and a 9 speed thumbshifter sitting in the spares box, but in the end decided not too, glad I did as I really like the simplicity of it singlespeed, especially when doing the slow technical type rock work.
The afternoon was dry but still quite cold, especially after having that late snow during the week.
Back home and a quick hose down to get the salt water off, dry, then lube and good to go next time.
Hope everyone else and your families are doing OK and keeping sane if your on lockdown.
Stay safe and take care of those around you.

Jamie


IMG_2648 IMG_2650 IMG_2654 IMG_2659 IMG_2662 IMG_2665 IMG_2667 IMG_2675 IMG_2674 IMG_2685 IMG_2691 IMG_2686

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...