Thursday 16 July 2020

Tuesday 14th July 2020 - 1958 Flying Scot Continental model

Having purchased this lovely old Scot bike back in February, based on just a couple of photos but at a price that was silly not too, I finally picked it up from down in Fife on Tuesday.
This was not the only Fling Scot I had purchased just before lockdown and with both coming from Fife, meant that my patience over the intervening months was finally about to be rewarded.
This Flying Scot was at a crazy low price and I  assumed it was because of the patina, or well worn state it was in. From what I could see in the photos I assumed that all the components would be rusted or seized and the frame would need a repaint. My thinking was that even in this condition the frame and fork alone were a bargain so anything left that was salvageable was a bonus.
While I have a couple of projects on the go and everything takes me a while I don't mind when it comes to a frame like this as it is my size so like nearly everything I buy it is with the intention to ride it, I no longer have the motivation to buy something just to flip and make a few quick dollars. While this is rough around the edges I just see the lovely riding bike and how great it could be both riding wise and looking wise with a little bit of love, to show the classy ride it is.  This was proved by my wife seeing it in the van and saying the other was lovely but this one looked like an old rusty bike, but once home and stripping it down she too could start to see the potential underneath.
While the main problem at the moment is a rounded out seat post clamp Allen bolt that will get sorted tomorrow, the rest came apart relatively easy. The stem and headset were free and the cotter pins came out with just a small tap to persuade them, not what I was expecting at all. Judging by the fact that everything worked and was full of now hardened grease meant it was well looked after until it was put away to sit for a very long time.
While the paint is now weather worn  and faded with rust coming through all over the original gold and red can still be seen in places. The gold behind the fork crown is bright in patches and there was a piece of decal off that exposed the bright gold underneath on the downtube that looked really stunning. I had toyed with the idea of repainting it a purple or heather colour but seeing the gold and red it may well just get a repaint in original colours.
Anyway it is a 1958 Flying Scot Continental model running 27'' wheels and a single chainring front and a 5 speed freewheel on the back, Weinmann brakes etc, Reynolds 531 tubing throughout.
Looking forward to this one.

Jamie


50116357333_fe1ebacbe2_o 50116357243_c76f59ab6e_o 50116929631_955c7c55dc_o 50117152792_23388ef260_o 50117153032_c274174ff8_o 50117153537_e80ba7f874_o IMG_3387 IMG_3389 IMG_3390 50117153532_b5febc1304_o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...