Tuesday 2 October 2018

Mid September frame project - Bob Jackson 531c frame and fork

Spotted this lovely Bob Jackson frame and forks posted on a bob Jackson group for sale for a very good price. While I have more than enough bikes and project frames to keep me going forever I just couldn't pass this by. It was for sale down in Leeds in England and being pick up only I had to ask if was possible to get someone else to pick it up for me. Not a problem the gentleman said.
I put a pickup help needed post up on Retrobike and luckily for me a friend Chris was heading that way from York to Leeds to pick up one of his lovely Claud Butlers that had just been painted at Bob Jacksons and he said that the postcode I supplied was not far at all from Bob Jacksons itself. A deal was sorted and names and numbers swapped round with the plan being that Chris would pick it up early one morning on his way past and then send it up to me later on.
What I was looking at on the ad was a red Bob Jackson road frame and forks in 531c Reynolds tubing with mudguard eyes in a 21'' size. Paint looked pretty good with the odd scratch and chip here and there, to be expected on a ? mid eighties frame. It also came with a Campagnolo Chorus headset which to be honest if I sold it would most likely just about cover the cost of the initial purchase, it was that much of a bargain. The top of the forks had a sleeve on it to take a modern aheadset style stem and looked like this had been in place since new.
Chris sent the frame up packaged in a more than professional state and was so well protected, so thank you again mate for all your help with this, I am very grateful.
Picked the frame up on a Friday and due to being away on the weekend I had only a short amount of time to get it unpacked and give it a quick degrease and clean up. It cleaned up really nicely as you can see from the photos and the paint is generally very good with just a couple of small chips to touch up.
Once again I wasn't in any way looking for another project but even my long suffering wife said that it was a bargain and to just see if it was still there and if I could get someone to pick it up for me then just do it.
I have wanted a Bob Jackson World Tour for many years as the quality and workmanship on all they make is outstanding so this, while being a road rather than touring machine, should make a fine audax ride for long days on the road.
Plans? this will sit for a long while before I get round to it as I really want to finish my Mercian and Jack Taylor within the next 12 months as they are keepers and machines I love riding.

Jamie


5 1 Quick clean and degrease DSCN5301 DSCN5302 DSCN5304 DSCN5307 DSCN5309

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...