Tuesday 9 January 2024

Monday 8th January 2024 - Local Ride - Long Haul Trucker

 Today was the first nice sunny day we have had this year and while I was busy in the morning I now have a few days off work. So wanting to make the best of it I thought i would get a quick ride in this afternoon. 

It was very cold today despite the sun being out, though this time of winter there is not much heat in it and so the ground, ie, the road was quite icy all day. 

I decided that I really should get my Long Haul Trucker out for a ride, check it over and get it ready for a couple of late winter/early spring audax rides that I am hoping to get to. I must admit I haven't really had much time on the Trucker this last year, a bit of commuting but not used for audax or touring  much at all. Despite not being used much for several months all that was needed after a quick check was just some air in the tyres and we were good to go. I on the other hand was well wrapped as it was only just, if at all above freezing, which was also evident by the ice on the roads. 

I was out for a couple of hours just meandering along the quiet back roads trying to stick to the higher roads that had maybe defrosted fully. This seemed to be fine as there was some frosty parts to these roads with puddles still being ice but generally not too bad. It was only as soon as the sun starting dropping away that the temperature quickly followed and sections that were merely wet before were now freezing up. Just had to take it steady deliberately. All fine.

The Long Haul Trucker ran superbly. I realised while I was riding that I built this bike up about 13 years or so ago. It has been used for touring, audax, commuting as well as pulling my toddler at the times trailer, then his Yepp seat and always a pleasure to ride. Besides replacing consumables as well, I think it is pretty much in the same setup as well. I suppose if it works why change and it works, rides and feels brilliant :) 

Happy New Year to all. 


Jamie  

 

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...