Friday 22 January 2021

Thursday 21st January - Big Dummy wheel build - Ready to go!!!

 Hi all

No riding for me as super busy at work but have a couple of projects on the go and one of those is finally to pull the Fat front and back off the Big Dummy and put together the wheels that have sat waiting to be built for a couple of years. Not really been the need before this but now that Caleb is on the tandem and his own bike, then the Dummy needed to be re assessed to see whether there was still a useful place for it in the fleet. We all think there is as we all love it, but obviously like this summer onwards it's use has been solo and very utilitarian. So to make it more practical I am taking the Fat off and putting the new wheels on with Surly ETs in the large 26 x 2.5 high volume jobs. 

For rims I have a new set of Rigida Sputniks in 36 hole laced to, front SP D8  Dyno hub and the rear I will lace to the Alfine 8 that is currently on it. Hopefully get the front built tonight or tomorrow night after work. 

The hub and rims have been sitting in the loft for a long time and after riding it the week before last on a commute I thought I need it to be more efficient and so looked for how I would want it set up. This I think will give me the absolute best of both worlds for on and off road of the type of riding I do. Though with this set up it will be more efficient on road where it will now get used a bit more than before. The Fat tyres really made it hard work on some tarmac. Ordered the tyres from the guys at Bikemonger the other day and then was glad I did as when I looked around everyone else was sold out. They arrived today and I am now even more enthused to get them built and get out on it. The tyres are the grey sidewall, tubeless ready version though I wont be going tubeless on the cargo bike, but they look nice. They also came wrapped in a couple of Surly junk straps which again is nice.

Jamie



IMG_4765 IMG_4756 IMG_4761 IMG_4762 IMG_4763

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...