Sunday 21 June 2020

June 20th 2020 - Dura Ace High Flange First Gen rear hub rebuild/refurb

Decided to sort out this lovely High Flange Dura Ace rear hub.
It's a first gen so 1974 5 speed hub.
I recently picked these up for a bargain price and while there was a slight issue it was not the sellers fault or even to his knowledge of the issue.
I wanted to build this set up for the 1963 Jack Taylor Sport on some 27'' rims. The problem with it has been that the previous owner had replaced the axle, which originally would have been a quick release and put in a solid axle. I hadn't really paid any notice to it, until I tried it on the old Jack Taylor and found yes it's a 120mm hub but the solid axle is cut the same width as a QR which means that it doesn't come out past the dropouts in the frame meaning you cant put a nut on either end  :shock:  So such a nice and rare old hubset meant a complete refurb was in order and luckily the local bikeshop had a new old Shimano axle in the right diameter that just needed cut down to the exact size. These old 120mm hubs had a axle length of 131mm where as this new one was a standard 145mm. I had called in and asked about it earlier in the week, and so had a nice ride into town for it today on the Jack Taylor Clubman and then a nice long loop home, with the sun coming out and warming up throughout.
So an hour or so after getting home job done. With the new axle, bearings and grease fitted, the original  races and cones were spotless and far better quality than those on the new one so they went straight back on. The drive side of the old one had the alloy spacer seized to the axle so that took a bit to get off as it had also seized the outside nut to it and the axle. Just took a bit of fine cleaning, WD and persuasion to sort.
You can see in the photos the state of the end of the axle it came with so at least I have made it usable again. I really like these high flange hubs for touring and these early Dura Ace are so durable and smooth that for the £8.50 for axle and 18 x 1/4'' bearings I now have a great set of hubs for the Jack Taylor when I do get round to building it. It's about the only thing I have a use for these 120mm hubs.
I have still to get the rims but am hoping to find some Mavic MA2 27'' somewhere on my travels.  I also have several other wheels to get sorted  for various other ideas/projects. While I can lace and build and get through to the end stage it is the tensioning and final trueing that I have to find more patience for. :)
I did have an excellent ride to town and then home the long way to get this stuff but that's for later :)
Hope you all had a lovely Solstice.

Jamie

The solid axle on the rear hub on the right

IMG_3099
IMG_3101

New, nicely cut ;) axle


IMG_3152 IMG_3151

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...