Monday 4 March 2019

Sunday 03 March 2019, Jack Taylor coastal meander


Hi all

Hope everyone has had a decent weekend and had a bit of the sunshine that is rumoured to be leaving for a while so winter can return for a bit. I hope they're wrong with that forecast, I really do.

Just a few hours out along the coast and up to Dunnet Head just to keep the legs turning as I have been pretty busy with non bike matters this weekend. Though I did do some work getting the Mercian stripped down properly as it should be heading off to get repainted any day now.

Had some heavy clouds blowing through most of the day with a few showers falling though I could see them coming with enough warning I could change course and avoid easily.

I Really am enjoying riding the Jack Taylor for these unhurried rides, it's such a relaxed riding machine though still quite responsive which makes it a really sweet handling, comfortable bike on these rough uneven back roads. This is with it still being cobbled together with the Dura Ace stuff which will make it all the sweeter once it has its nice purpose fitted components more suited to its style of riding. I have a few things set aside for it already and suppose I just need to get the rest sorted. It’s funny as it always seems to be at the back of the list as I think there is no rush as it’s definitely not going anywhere but then I think, well I really should as I seem to be riding it more and more.

The one thing that seems to cross my mind at least once on each ride is the age old patina or repaint question. I have said that the patina on this one is one of well-aged and on any other frame I would say repaint but because of this being painted, lugged and box lined by Jack himself then it is worth preserving for as long as I can, but at least once each ride I will think ' you ride really, really nicely and just something special about you but you just don't look it with all that rust spots etc, you deserve to look like new, all bright and shiny'   Then I think, I know how special it is because of how it rides and then I will look down at the box lining where there is a bit of a wobble in the lining and think that also makes it special because of what that represents, the personal touch from Jack himself and that it doesn't have to look shiny and bling to look special. I suppose it is just sometimes it would be nice if others could see how special it is. But I know it’s special to me and really that is all that matters.

Jamie
IMG_0578 IMG_0580 IMG_0584 IMG_0587 IMG_0590

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...