Wednesday 2 January 2019

January 2nd 2019 - Happy New Year! ride - Long Haul Trucker

I managed to get out on the LHT this afternoon, first time for what feels like ages. I fitted my lights as I needed to see that they still worked as they will be my backups for the Puffer and also to sort the lights generally as I have entered the Musselburgh Tour of East Lothian Audax in Feb so no doubt there may be a bit of winter bleakness/darkness there as well. Still undecided about the Scottish Borders Randonee in March but that is more just down to logistics but am definitely sorted for the Feb.
I fitted my front Cree light to the mid fork mount as this is my backup for the puffer but it is my main commuter  headlight for the Trucker and I mount it on a Nitto stub mount that screws into the mid fork mount. The battery is for the Trucker just sitting in my handlebar bag. This will change soon for the Trucker as I am building up a wheelset with the SP Dyno hub and dedicated front light. My other lights that I can use on the Trucker are the super bright set that Chris Troutie made for us in the Fatty Owls team for the Strathpuffer 24 hour race. These are fabulous lights and are definitely my 'good' set. They get used on rides when I am in the dark proper and for long periods, they are like car headlights, can't miss seeing them but they also light up the road a long way in front, such a great depth to them.
I went out along the coast and down a few dead end tracks to the shore off of the main road out towards Mey as I was looking for an old croft that someone had mentioned, didn't find it but still had an enjoyable ride. Was very cold as the temps really dropped the last few days but again, still nice to be out riding, better than no ride.
I will also give a big shout out here to Carradice as well. My rear trunk bag that I have used for a long time on the LHT, as well as all my other bikes with a rack, had started moving about on the rack and loosening off the Velcro tabs that hold it on. It's seen many years of abuse in all weathers and while it is worn with the tags off the zip pullers etc I think it still has a bit of life left and besides I like it as it fits everything perfectly. I contacted Carradice to see if they could repair it they said they could but it that the issue would be that the original Velcro is sewn on and it would destroy it to take it off but it needs the stiff side of the Velcro to be sewn onto the tab that's already there as that is the section that will just be worn. The lady said that to be honest anyone that can sew could sew them on for me and so it probably wasn't worth sending it down and then postage back plus they would have to charge me.  Just before I went back to Oz last month an envelope arrived with the pieces inside, free of charge. I thought that was really good of them especially as they could have tried to sell me another one. Really pleased, so now my old carrier will see a bit more action. No more bungee strap to secure it as some may have seen in recent photos. It was heading into town to get the train to head to the Brevet from Brians house back up to Caithness that it ejected from the rack on a bumpy road whilst fully packed. Luckily the car behind stopped right behind it and waited while I ran back to retrieve it from the middle of the road.
I do have a Carradice longflap as well so I am not just being tight :)

Hope everyone else has had a great New Year and wish everyone a safe and happy 2019

Jamie


DSCN5616 DSCN5625 DSCN5628 DSCN5629 DSCN5633

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday 31st March 2024 - Aviemore Easter Ride - Jack Taylor Super Clubman

 Easter Weekend ride part 2: A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south and  spend some tim...