Sunday 16 June 2024

Saturday 15th June 2024 - Jack Taylor Super Tourist - new bag setup and coast ride

 Set up my Ostrich bag on the Super Tourer yesterday. Then tried it out round the coast. 

I have had the bag for a long time sitting in a box in the loft, almost forgotten but not quite, when I was pondering which way to set up the Super Tourist for a couple of days away I have planned for the end of the month. Instead of a full decauler I just ordered a £5 bar extension to try it, make sure it all fits and works before ordering a fancy Nitto version. I need the space in front of the bars due to the Mafac safety levers.

Good bag, strong, holds a mountain of gear and secure with a strap underneath holding it on the rack. 
Getting it sorted as I have a few days off so will hopefully get away and head south on some quiet roads. This bag on it's own would be a good overnighter as it is quite big and with a multitude of different size pockets around it's outside for keeping track of the little stuff. It secured really well and didn't move even when on the off road tracks. Well happy with it and it is in keeping with the style of the Super Tourist.  

I am also swapping out the front derailleur and also the chain for a NOS 1980's 5/6 speed. I think at some point that the front derailleur was swapped out in the shop after being built and then 7 years later being finally sold, as the Arabesque mech does not like running on the straight arm Stronglight crank. There is minimal room and when I do get it adjusted/trimmed it doesn't take much more than going up and down the cog before the mech is hitting the back of the crank arm. The arabesque has the out turned bit right at the front which doesn't help but the flex means when the crank arm comes around it hits the bottom outside edge of the cage. I think the right size chain with the 7mm pins rather than this one which is 8.3mm wide and I am going to try a old Sora cage which I run on my Mercian with the exact same chainset but in a triple. The Sora cage is very flat and doesn't even look close to hitting. It may not have been swapped out but I don't think it was run far. To be fair when I got the bike it had never been in the big ring as there was not a mark. Just a bit of tinkering, good for the soul and will just make it a bit nicer again. 
Though still early days really with this tourer as I have only owned it under a year, it rides so nicely and comfortably. I am really keen to put a medium load on it and head south for a few days, but first I need to just sort these little issues out.  
Time may be the limiting factor but even a few days would be great. 

Jamie  
Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sat 07th September 2024 - Mercian - King of Mercia - Local Coastal Ride

Wow!  I didn't realise it's been so long since I posted one the rides on the King Of Mercia!  I have been riding it, honest, just no...